Friday, August 13, 2010

Wisconsin State Fair

So I went to the State Fair this week for the first time in about 5 years. I used my $14 groupon that included 2 adult tickets and a 3-pack of Cream Puffs (a $28.50 value). Anne and I met after work on Monday anticipating a smaller crowd and we were ready to look through every nook and cranny at the fair. It didn't disappoint - we saw llamas, alpacas, cows, pigs, horsies - visit the products building and dairy areas and the expo centers. We saw carnies, rides, big slides, pickles on a stick and most of all... A TON OF FOOD! My goal was to try between 3-4 foods I'd never had or at least enjoy some I've had before. I reached 3 foods I've never had although the first I'll describe I've had in theory, but just not this particular brand/style. So, I made it!!! We spent 3 1/2 hours enjoying the heat and stuff at the fair and I left, well, STUFFED!!!!

Fair Stop 1: Products Building
Pretzel Bites with Cheese. These were reasonably priced and I'd never had this kind before - they were made from the same dough as pretzel buns/rolls, so they were much lighter and airy than the normal soft pretzels I've had before.

**** out of 5 stars

Fair Stop 2: Robert's Stand
Deep Fried Pickles with Ranch Dressing. Tasty as usual, I've loved these lil guys for awhile now. The only issue I had was that the quantity you received looked small in the large container they served them in. Either use a smaller bowl or give us more!!!

*** out of 5 stars

Fair Stop 3: Saz's
Combo Platter. I started to get frustrated about not finding something unusual to eat... and I was not about to have chocolate covered bacon or a krispy kreme cheeseburger... so Anne and I split a combo platter at my old standby - Saz's. I absolutely love that they use egg roll wrappers around cheese for their mozz sticks and their cheese curds are usually spectacular with their garlic fries.

**** 1/2 out of 5 stars

Fair Stop 4: Dessert Stand
Frozen Banana Dipped in Chocolate on a Stick - or as my coworker calls it a "Monkey Tail". I only had a bite of this sweet treat - Anne fully enjoyed it though, and the small bit I had was tasty.

*** out of 5 stars

Fair Stop 5: Carnie Looking Stand
Deep Fried Oreos. Going into the fair, I had heard good things about these lil guys from my father-in-law. I was already full and ready to leave when I spotted this stand and had to get them. Only problem was, their one size was 7 of 'em! So for $6, I got all the deliciousness I could handle and left with a tummy ache. Anne had her sweet fix and would only eat half of one, so I "HAD" to eat 6 total. Completely delicious like a warm cakey-donut, but I thought I may have a heart-attack later that night. I already eat too many donuts, no need for more anytime soon!!!

***** out of 5 stars

Fair Stop 6: NEAR EXIT
3 Cream Puffs To-Go. I shared these with Anne and my family, so I only tried a sliver the next day - but as usual, the State Fair did not dissapoint. If you are from WI, you grow up enjoying cream puffs, and I'm happy to say it was as good as I remembered.

**** out of 5 stars

Time for a fooooooood coma...
Until Then... Bethers

No comments:

Post a Comment